Tuesday 24 April 2018

Dorset

Over the Easter break I ventured to Dorset for a few days with my friends for a holiday close to home. I loved the rich history the area had to offer, especially the steam train from Corfe castle to Swanage. Whilst in Swanage I walked past an interesting mermaid figure made from stone balanced on one of the walls. This instantly prompted me to research into whether Dorset has any mermaid folklore of its own. Being just along the coast from Portsmouth, I thought this could be an interesting addition to my project.

I found these two websites that mention the same mermaid sighting on the Dorset coast in 1757, which I thought was interesting as it must be a popular story to be mentioned by two different people. 
http://www.britainexpress.com/counties/dorset/countryside/chesil-mermaid.htm
https://www.yopa.co.uk/blog/every-home-tells-a-story-the-legend-of-the-lyme-regis-mermaid/

I love the mystery and uncertainty of old accounts like this, they always spark my imagination and motivate me to continue my research and illustrations of mermaids. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig