Wednesday 11 October 2017

Mythical Mermaids

For my main MA project I have decided to focus on the theme of mythical creatures. Using this as an umbrella term, I am also looking into local folklore, specifically mermaids. I have always had a fascination with these stories as the uncertain nature of them leaves it wide open for interpretation and countless possibilities. There is no proof or answer, which makes my imagination run wild. 

I also want to tie in themes of perfection and the uncanny within this project as they are concepts I have been interested in for a while now. I see perfection as a man made thing, it isn't real, it is not a unit of scientific measurement. Looking at how humanity views perfection and how we react to something imperfect is something I want to research further. Using the mermaid as a visual metaphor for this would be interesting as they are usually seen as beautiful but are not within our society. 

All fairy tales, nursery rhymes and folklore have a sense of the uncanny. The Freudian concept is something that I touched on briefly before in my undergraduate degree and am keen to research further. All of the stories are set within a familiar time and setting which is what makes the mythical creatures stand out so much. There has to be a sense of normality for us to realise the unusualness of these beings. 

In the library I found a book of illustrated nursery rhymes by Paula Rego which made for an interesting read. Several quotes stood out to me in regards to the point just mentioned:
"banality meets mystery"    "marvels mix with the day-to-day"    "the very ordinariness of the verse attaches it to daily, general experience, brings it into everyones back garden"



She is of course talking specifically about nursery rhymes but the idea can be transferred to stories of mermaids as well. Her illustrations have a dark creepy twist, revealing the adult themes within the rhymes, giving slight changes to the familiar characters, creating that uncanny feeling. 





Using a familiar setting such as Portsmouth, I could employ these techniques to get the attention of locals. Being near the sea and having a naval background, Portsmouth would be a good setting for a mermaid story. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig