Tuesday 17 April 2018

Bringing the Mary Rose into my book

As my current project is going to be set in Tudor Portsmouth, I wanted to include something iconic from that time era so the audience can recognise it quicker. After a visit to the Mary Rose museum at Portsmouth historic dockyards, I was inspired and decided to include it in my work. It gave me the idea to have a sailor character alongside my mermaid, as well as basing my story in The Solent where the ship sank. Nobody knows for sure how it sank either, so combining this with mermaids makes for a great story in my eyes. 
I want to have the image of the Mary Rose at the start of my book, maybe alongside an old map of Portsmouth or overlaying each other. This would set the scene so the audience from the start understand where the story is taking place with an idea of the time period. 

I began by drawing out the ship in my sketchbook from images I found at the Mary Rose museum. I then made it into a screen print to go with the rest of my illustrations for this book. 



I added a second layer of colour to differentiate the ship from the water. I then edited it in Photoshop as I did with my previous prints (see previous blog posts).



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig