Tuesday 10 October 2017

The Nature of Research

This week I read 'The Nature of Research' by Bruce Archer. It was a great insight into different types of research.




Being an illustrator, I found a lot of what he said about research through practitioner action very relatable. Even parts of the scientific research section could be thought about in a creative way in regards to experimentation, which all creatives do to gain the right outcome for a piece. 

Some questions he asked in the text really caught my attention such as 'was the practitioner activity an enquiry whose goal was knowledge?' 




As a creative practitioner, I like to find information relevant to my practice at the time instead of researching the world just for the sake of researching. Emergent research and auto ethnography are my preferred ways of learning/gathering information. I admit that when I begin a new drawing or painting, the goal in the front of my mind is not new knowledge, but as I document and reflect on my work I gain knowledge as a secondary effect.

Through the process of creating an illustration, I understand better what I am making. You have to get involved and immerse yourself, allowing things to happen and learn from them. Being a creative practitioner, in my opinion, involves letting go of your fear of being wrong and letting yourself try new techniques to develop.

Visual research, such as copying other artists work to mimic their use of colour or mark making for example, helps 'uncover the same information, replicate the procedures adopted' and ultimately reveal the same findings. This for me is the most successful way of researching different artists that I'm interested in. 

Relating this to my research question 'what methods can be employed to develop creativity in relation to technology and practice?' took some thinking. I want to explore the traditional vs technology route in this exercise by creating work both on paper and on a tablet using a digital drawing program. I have little experience with this software so I will research the digital technology through using it.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig