Tuesday 25 October 2016

Making Christmas Cards!

My Christmas Cards Have Arrived!


So this year I have decided to design, print and sell some Christmas cards because it's my favourite time of the year! After visiting a herd of reindeer on my holiday to Scotland earlier this year, I've fallen in love with them and HAD to include them in my christmas design. 

We took a trip to the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland and trekked to find the UK's only free-ranging reindeer herd. We got to interact with them which was amazing! I learnt that reindeer were once native to the UK but unfortunately there is not enough suitable habitat for them anymore, the only place they can live outside of captivity is in the Cairngorm mountains! This made up my mind to have reindeer as the subject of my christmas cards, as they've been increasingly associated with christmas! 

Modern stories of flying reindeer and Rudolf may have evolved from ancient Norse stories  and the 19th century poem 'Twas the night before Christmas'. And i'm glad they did as Rudolf the red nosed reindeer is my favourite Christmas song! 


For this design, I wanted to create something that was different to the usual cool toned, snowy scenes we normally see on christmas cards. I wanted something bold and colourful that would stand out from other cards, using my usual, messy watercolour style to make something visually interesting and bright! I decided on a reindeer in the centre, surrounded by holly leaves (traditionally a christmas thing) and other forest foliage, then put colourful christmas lights in his antlers for a festive twist! On the back of my cards has my website and Facebook details so people who buy the cards can check out my other work. I've left them blank inside so people can write whatever xmas messages they want, or not use it for anything Christmas related at all if they want! 

You can find out when they'll be on sale and more info on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/bethfrostart

I'd love feedback or comments on your favourite aspect of christmas!

Beth xx
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Your cards look great! So creative.
    And that's cool that you got to hang out with reindeer!

    alwaysarty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! If you ever get the chance to visit the reindeer I highly recommend it! I like all the DIY ideas on your blog :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig