Tuesday 3 April 2018

Creating watery backgrounds

I've been spending more and more time in the print studio since starting this project, becoming more comfortable with all the new techniques and equipment I have learnt to use. This time I experimented with a different press to help me create some textured backgrounds for my screen prints. I wanted to create the illusion of water using blue and green colours, along with watery textures, waves and splashes etc. 



I worked large scale on A1 pieces of newsprint to take full advantage of the press and experiment as much as possible. The press worked by rolling the oil based inks straight onto the surface of the press and working into them there. I used white spirit to create the splashes, some dropped from a height and some flicked with a paint brush. I used a scrunched up piece of cloth to pat on the ink to give wavey lines as well. 






After these prints had dried for a couple of days, I then photographed them and put them into photoshop, editing the colours slightly and experimenting with layering them over each other and changing the opacity to create a whole range of different backgrounds. 



These are the backgrounds that I am happy with so far :












I have kept some of them quite similar on purpose as I don't know which ones I'd like to use for my book yet. I may want them to flow and follow each other perfectly or I may want them all to stand out on their own so each page is completely different. Either way, they all have a watery effect so the pages will relate to each other regardless. The symbolism of water and mermaids tears (which represent eternal youth and link to perfection) are something I want present throughout the entire concertina so I want each page of the book to have even just parts of these backgrounds in.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig