Wednesday 17 January 2018

Book making workshop

Last week I made a concertina hardback book in a workshop which was very useful to me as I was thinking of making an artists book as the final product for my project. I have never constructed a book to a high finish before so this workshop gave me a taste of what I would need to do. 

The pages are made of long paper, folded back and forward to create the concertina. I wanted more pages so created a tab to join an extra piece of paper to the already existing pages and carried on folding. The hardback covers are made from thick cardboard covered in bookbinding cloth.

For an experimental process, I think this worked well, I am happy with the overall appearance of the book, although next time I will be more careful with the glue as there are marks on the fabric. 

I wanted to use this book as a potential mockup of my final piece as well as somewhere to experiment with drawing my mermaid character and designing her better. I decided to title the book with the mermaids name and fill it with rough sketches/paintings of her which could be from the perspective of my other character, the sailor. This gave me the opportunity to test drawing her from different angles whilst making a book as well. 








SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig