Wednesday 1 November 2017

Research Through Drawing

My recent lecture focused on reflecting and developing methodology. I thought mainly about image making within my practice throughout this, particularly drawing or sketching as this is how I usually start expressing my ideas.

Looking back through my college work and undergraduate degree, I have always done research through drawing even if I haven't previously realised it. Having these lectures has made me question what and why I do things, helping me understand what forms of research I tend to embrace. I get my ideas down visually, then I can reflect on the drawing, revising and editing it along with the idea. I find this a very effective way to process what I want to achieve.
I then thought about the different types of drawing that I do, sketching rough ideas/compositions from my mind or working from photos so I can learn about the artefacts as I draw, gaining knowledge back. 




Drawing has almost become a natural element of my life, so much so that I haven't even stopped to think about it until now. Which is the purpose of these lectures I guess. I use it the same way I use notes, to get ideas down quickly, but this is just a visual version. Other times I use it as a final outcome so I agree with Andrea Kantrowitz, Angela Brew and Michelle Fava who stated “drawing has migrated from a support practice within the fine arts tradition to that of an independent medium offering distinctive graphic possibilities altogether its own.” (Kantrowitz, A., Brew, A. & Fava, M. (eds.) Thinking through Drawing: practice into knowledge. Teachers College Press: New York. 2011.)

I think it is important to evaluate and understand the way I use drawing in comparison to others, not just in my discipline but others as well, so it grounds my work and I have a better connection with it. 




Continuing this theme, I want to approach people from different disciplines and ask them to draw a mermaid. This will help me understand how other people draw as well as helping me research how to design my mermaid character for my project, looking at how others intemperate what a mermaid looks like. Researching through others will give me a wide range of views from different backgrounds so I can gauge what knowledge people generally have of mermaids. Our lecturer Elaine told us about her doing something similar in her own practice, getting people to draw images of fashion designers. I think its a really good idea and I want to explore it within my own work. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig