Tuesday 29 May 2018

Binding my book

After finally folding my 3 metres of book into a concertina, I decided to make my hardback covers, print the titles onto them and bind everything together to make my 3 books! I managed to print out 4 copies of the book, using one as practice and then the rest to make an edition of 3 books. 

I made the book covers out thick card and book binding cloth, and joining everything together with PVA glue. I left a 2cm border of cloth around the card to fold around it, making sure that when I glue the page to it that there was none of the bare card showing. I used the same coloured orange cloth as my first concertina book attempt as I thought it worked well as a contrast with the blue inside. This has been enhanced even more in my final finished books as the colours inside are a lot stronger. 




Because of the nature of the folds in the book, when finished and pushed together, the pages create a layered effect to one side so the covers aren't directly behind each other. I did this so it looks more like a wave, linking with the waves inside the book, giving the audience a sense of what lies within before even opening the book.



I screen printed the title of my book onto the covers, after research I found this would be the easiest way to produce 3 covers quickly.  I really like how they haven't printed pristinely because of the grain of the cloth. I think this adds to the character and older feel I wanted to give to the book. 



I made the covers nearly the exact same size as the pages so when spread out it stands up fine on its own. My first concertina I made struggled to stand freely because the pages  didn't touch the table as the covers were too big. This time I made sure the pages were glued at the bottom of the covers so everything would touch the table to stand up. 
The final touches would be to create a band to go round the book, holding the pages together when its not standing up. Im planning for this band to be made from an old map of Portsmouth. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig